DRACUT — Cats may not really have nine lives, but a Dracut family’s pet was given a second chance when firefighters rescued it from a residential fire late Sunday night.
Firefighters responded to the fire at 24 Spare St. around 11:30 p.m. Luckily, no humans were inside when an electrical fire started in the right side of the duplex, said Chief David Brouillette — just a black cat was trapped inside.
A neighbor reported the fire Sunday night after seeing flames in a basement window. The fire was put out by 11:59 p.m. There were no injuries, according to Brouillette. The house shows light damage.
After the soot-covered feline was pulled from the fire, Trinity EMS personnel cleaned and treated it with supplemental oxygen.
Because the owners were not on the scene, the cat was transferred to Westford Veterinary Emergency and Referral Center.
The cat’s owners brought it home Monday, according to Trinity Director of Business and Marketing Chris Dick.
Dick said the cat should be okay.
“As far as I know, the cat was dancing around that night,” he said.
Nicole DeFeudis: @Nicole _DeFeudis onTwitter