Of New England’s four seasons, spring is the most anticipated.
Longer days and flowers that seem to sprout overnight warm our hearts. Just knowing that snow is now behind us can put everyone in a good mood. A good mood can do wonders. It makes us more amiable and willing to do the things we may find tedious.
For example, the U.S. Census questionnaires that you have received in the mail need to be filled out and returned so that an accurate count can be made. Did you know that the Census data is used to determine the number of seats each state will have in the U.S. House of Representatives? It can also be used to determine the allocation of federal funds for community services, such as school lunch programs, senior citizens centers and so much more. If you’re having difficulty filling out the questionnaire, we can help. Bring your questionnaire to the senior center on Mondays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., and there will be a Census worker here to help you fill out the questionnaire. They will be here until April 30.
* On Thursday, April 15, the special nutrition meal will be chicken al a King in a bread bowl. On the same day at 10:30 a.m., a special talk will be held on overall nutrition.
* The Legacies contest awards ceremony will be held on Friday, April 9, at noon. All authors who have submitted a story are invited to attend.
* National Volunteer Week is April 19 though April 23. Please join us for a celebration breakfast on Thursday, April 22, at 10 a.m. All volunteers are welcome to attend.
* Calling all singers, dancers and musicians to a talent show on June 9. Home Instead of Chelmsford and the Council On Aging are sponsoring this show. If you like to sing, dance or play a musical instrument, come and be a part of this fun event. Participants will have an opportunity to perform, and a panel of judges will pick first, second and third place finishers. Trophies and gifts will be awarded. Please let us know if you’ll be a part of our talent show. We will try to provide the music for your song or dance. Lunch will be served.
* Quick Trips: April 2, breakfast; April 9, Walmart; April 16, tour of Shaw’s new store; April 23, Discount Madness and lunch at Alicias; April 30, New Store (Hallmark), next to Mama’s restaurant.
* Movie of the Month: Tuesday, April 20, at noon, Did You Hear About The Morgans, starring Jessica Parker and Hugh Grant.
Celebrate spring at the Dracut Council On Aging, “The Best Place in Town.”
Joyce Shadan is the executive director of the Dracut Council On Aging.