BOSTON — The Eastern Bank Charitable Foundation is accepting nominations from the public to help it award grants totaling $50,000 to not-for-profit organizations.
The program was developed to celebrate Eastern Bank Corp.’s recent acquisition of MASSBANK Corp., a merger that enhances Eastern’s abilities to serve consumers and businesses in Middlesex County.
The bank is accepting nominations for not-for-profit organizations headquartered in communities served by a MASSBANK office, including Chelmsford, Dracut, Everett, Lowell, Medford, Melrose, Reading, Stoneham, Tewksbury, Westford and Wilmington.
To nominate an organization, complete the online nomination form at www.easternbank.com/grant. The grants, which were made available by the Eastern Bank Charitable Foundation, will be distributed in $2,500 increments to 20 not-for-profit organizations, based upon the quality of each nomination.
Nominations must be received by Oct. 10, and grant recipients will be announced later that month. To be eligible, organizations:
* Must have a nonprofit tax-exempt classification under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code;
* Cannot have an Internal Revenue Service subclassification of 509(a)(3);
* Cannot have received a grant of $1,000 or more in 2008 from the Eastern Bank Charitable Foundation;
* Cannot have a primary purpose that is religious;
* Cannot be a private foundation.