WESTFORD -- Whether you are looking for après ski pub food or a fine dining experience, The Outlook Restaurant & Lounge at Nashoba Valley Ski Area has got you covered.
Chef Adriana Finotti Machado can often be found standing over the burners in the kitchen at The Outlook, searing flour-coated chicken in a skillet then adding goat cheese, garlic, spinach and red sauce. A splash of white wine causes flames to jet out from under the pan as she gently tosses the ingredients together before laying them over a bed of ziti.
"I love goat cheese," Machado said. "I love spinach and tomato sauce."
The piping hot Chicken Mediterranean is one of Machado's creations that have emerged as a signature dish at The Outlook. Machado also uses her own recipe for soups at the restaurant as well as the meatloaf, which she prepares with a combination of ground beef, veal and pork, wrapped in bacon.
"My grandmother was Portuguese and my grandfather was Italian. I was taught how to cook when I was 10," Machado said. "I've been cooking since and I'm now 41."
In addition to the food, The Outlook has earned quite a following of skiers and locals because of its wide windows that give diners a full view of the slopes and its stone fireplace, which is always ablaze. Guests are seated at wooden tables and chairs that match the 127-seat eatery's chalet-style wood-beamed ceilings. Wooden snowshoes and skis hang on the restaurant walls.
Chicken wings served at the restaurant, which sits at the base of the mountain, can be ordered tossed in Scampi, Jamaican Jerk, War Dance or Gold Rush sauces, and are great paired with Macaroni & Cheese Casserole after a day on the slopes, said general manager Michael Barry.
And even though you might stow away in The Outlook to get rid of your chill, be sure to save room for dessert; the eatery is known for its Wicked Goodie, a towering brownie sundae made for sharing.
The Outlook closes on March 17 -- St. Patrick's Day -- and begins serving its fare again during the first week of June at the mountain's Sunset Tiki Bar.
The Outlook Restaurant & Lounge at Nashoba Valley Ski Area
79 Powers Road, Westford, 978-692-5700, dineoutlook.com
- Hours: Daily, 11:30 a.m. to 2 a.m. Only special pub menu is served from 11 p.m. to midnight (when the kitchen closes).
- Reservations: Only accepted before 6 p.m.
- Parking: Shared with the ski area
- Menu: Pub fare and high quality pasta, seafood, and steak, entrees
- Price range: Entrees $18-$39
- Atmosphere: Cozy and casual. There is no dress code, so feel free to wear snow pants.
- Try this: Chicken Mediterranean, Meatloaf, Filet of Beef Au Bon Pain (a popular summer dish that has become a year-round mainstay at The Outlook; a beef tenderloin sandwich topped with lettuce, tomato, spicy Cajun dressing, and red onion, served on asiago ciabatta bread), and The Mogul (the diner's choice of an Angus beef or boneless chicken breast, topped with caramelized onion, sautéed mushroom, and Swiss cheese, served on a Kaiser roll).
- Meal deal: Prime Rib is served at The Outlook for dinner Thursday through Saturday for $31. The 18-ounce cut is accompanied by potato, spinach, and Caesar salad.