LOWELL -- A Nashua man who allegedly stabbed a Tyngsboro teen over a sneaker sale transaction gone wrong was deemed dangerous in Lowell District Court Friday.

Judge Michael Brooks ordered Dequan Hagen, 19, held without bail for 120 days ending May 9.

"I do find that, based upon the clear and convincing evidence, there are no conditions of release that would ensure the safety of the complaining witness or the community," Brooks said.

Hagen faces charges of armed robbery, home invasion, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, assault with a dangerous weapon and malicious destruction of property over $1,200 in connection with the Jan. 3 stabbing.

He allegedly went to Tyngsboro to purchase a pair of high-end Adidas Yeezy sneakers -- a line of shoes designed by rapper Kanye West -- from a 17-year-old boy at a home on Frost Road. Hagen allegedly attempted to grab the sneakers and run, but the seller and his brother put Hagen in a headlock and struck him with a baseball bat.

Hagen allegedly got away but later came back with a knife, stabbing the teen in the stomach before running off with the shoes and the bat.

Middlesex Assistant District Attorney Jacqueline McCormick said she spoke with the alleged victim's mother Friday morning and he is home recuperating.

"He has 32 staples in his stomach," she said. "The stabbing punctured his stomach lining. He's unable to go to school.


He's unable to drive. He's unable to stretch his stomach for the time being. The doctors don't know when he'll be able to resume doing those things."

Despite Hagen's young age, he already has a long record of serious crimes in both New Hampshire and Massachusetts, much of it as a juvenile, and he was on probation at the time of the stabbing, McCormick said. Among his previous convictions were domestic violence charges, criminal mischief and resisting arrest, she said. Just a day before the stabbing, a new sentence for criminal mischief in Nashua was added to his New Hampshire record, McCormick said.

Among the exhibits McCormick submitted was a history of Billerica police contact with Hagen and a 16-page police report from Billerica for a 2017 unarmed robbery charge that was continued without a finding.

In that incident, which McCormick described as a drug deal, Hagen allegedly drove off with another person's arms still inside the car. The individual was still hanging onto the car, attempting to pull himself in, as the car sped through a parking lot. Hagen allegedly watched the person fall from the side of the vehicle, left bloodied and semi-conscious. The person was later treated for head trauma at Lahey Clinic, McCormick said.

Hagen's attorney, Melanie Regis, in arguing for his release, said Hagen showed a certain level of maturity in turning himself in rather than running. She said he has the ability to stay in Billerica with his mother or a close family friend, and she had scheduled a meeting for Hagen at UTEC for Monday.

Regis the court should consider that, despite the seriousness of the Tyngsboro alleged victim's injuries, it did not appear from police reports that the teen or his brother immediately called police to report the stabbing or 911 to request an ambulance. She said it appeared police were not contacted until the injured teen arrived at Lowell General Hospital.

"I think that that shows that there's something maybe going on at the house or was there something else that may have happened in between the time that they actually went to the hospital," Regis said.

She said her client was also injured, having been struck in the head and arm with the baseball bat.

Regis questioned what she called slight inconsistencies between the statements the alleged victim and other witnesses gave to police and whether the home invasion charge was valid. She said video clearly showed Hagen leaving with the bat, "but I don't believe you can see any sneakers."

McCormick said the camera was motion-activated and may not have captured the entire evening, but that the alleged victim's mother will be turning over to police any additional footage that may be available. 

Files for the case are not available for public view. The entire case file was impounded at McCormick's request because the alleged victim is a juvenile.

Hagen is due back in court Feb. 11 for a probable cause hearing.

Follow Alana Melanson at facebook.com/alana.lowellsun or on Twitter @alanamelanson.