DRACUT -- A preliminary investigation shows a two-alarm fire on Huntting Avenue Friday appeared to have been ignited by a candle, Fire Chief David Brouillette said.

Two people were home when the fire broke out at 31 Huntting Ave. around 1:38 p.m. The residents tried to put out the fire with an extinguisher, but the fire was too big for them to control, Brouillette said.

The residents escaped from the single-family, ranch home and went to a neighbor's house to call 911.

Brouillette said an aggressive attack by the firefighters minimized the damage to the home. After 30 minutes, the fire was under control.

Volunteers from the American Red Cross of Eastern Massachusetts were on the scene assisting residents with housing for the night, spokeswoman Kat Powers said.

Two adults and two teenagers were given a hotel stay, clothes, emergency funds for shoes and food, Powers said. Firefighters from Lowell and Pelham were called for mutual aid in the fire, Brouillette said.

Town property records show the home is owned by Kathleen Irwin.