LOWELL -- Firefighters say it appears an electrical issue on the porch of a home on Dingwell Street sparked a one-alarm fire there that caused extensive damage to the home in the Highlands neighborhood on Tuesday.

Firefighters were called to 117 Dingwell St., about 3 p.m., and arrived to find a blaze that began on a porch but then spread into the home's siding attic.

Firefighters had to cut a hole in the roof to vent heat from the fire and extinguish the flames in the attic, which caused heavy damage in the attic and second-floor bedrooms, according to Deputy Chief Mark McGuane.

Nevertheless, crews quickly got the blaze under control and no one was injured, according to McGuane.

"The guys did a good job," he said.

The home also suffered water damage on the first floor.

The homeowner and his dog were home at the time but both escaped without injury.

Firefighters were at the scene for about 90 minutes in all.

Follow Robert Mills on Twitter and Tout @Robert_Mills.