PELHAM, N.H. -- An unidentified 24-year-old man suffered what was described as a "severe" hand injury while using fireworks in Pelham on Friday night.
Police confirmed a report posted on Twitter that a 24-year-old suffered the injury while using fireworks at 7:30 p.m.
The injury occurred when the man was using a reloadable mortar shell fireworks kit, according to the Pelham Fire Department.
The shell exploded in the tube causing the hand injury, according to the Fire Department's release on Saturday morning.
The man was taken to an area hospital before being transferred to a Boston hospital for emergency surgery.
The Fire Department said the incident is being investigated by the N.H. State Fire Marshal's Office.
A report posted on Twitter indicated the accident occurred at a home on Indian Valley Road, but no address has been released by public-safety officials.
Fireworks are legal in New Hampshire, but illegal in Massachusetts.
Several local police departments said they had reports of fireworks being set off Friday night, but that no injuries were reported.
Lowell police issued several $300 citations to people caught using fireworks in Lowell, but an exact number was not immediately available. The Lowell City Council recently passed an ordinance creating that fine.
The city ordinance makes it easier for police officers to issue a fine instead of pursuing criminal charges in state courts.
Lowell firefighters were also called to Woodward Avenue Friday night when someone called 911 to report smoke coming from the porch of a home after fireworks went off, but firefighters found no fire and soon left the area.
Reporter Lyle Moran contributed to this report
Follow Robert Mills on Twitter and Tout @Robert_Mills.