LOWELL -- Officials responded to Bowers Street early Monday morning for a mattress fire that destroyed an apartment bedroom.

Lowell Deputy Fire Chief Michael Donnelly said crews responded to a 1-alarm fire at 1 a.m. at 75 Bowers St., Apt. 4. The building was evacuated promptly and no injuries were reported in the event.

Lowell Fire Department crews remained on scene until just before 2 a.m. The fire was contained to the room of origin, in the bedroom of that one apartment.

Donnelly said investigators believe the fire was started by the "careless" disposal of smoking materials, which led to a tenant's bed catching on fire.

The rest of the tenants in the building were able to return to their apartments that morning. Apt. 4 will have to be repaired, according to the fire department. Donnelly estimated the damages to the apartment will total around $5,000 to $6,000.

Follow Samantha Allen on Twitter and Tout @SAllen_89.