BILLERICA -- Furniture too close to a fireplace caused a fully-involved house fire early Wednesday morning in Billerica, and one resident was transported to the hospital with injuries, according to fire officials.

At 12:54 a.m., Billerica firefighters responded to 43B Ossamequin Road for a structure fire. There was "heavy, very considerable interior damage, and it's absolutely unlivable," Captain Fred Wiggins said on Wednesday.

One resident was transported to the hospital with unknown injuries. Also, one firefighter had minor neck burns, but the firefighter did not seek treatment, Wiggins said.

The fire appears to be accidental from furniture being placed too close to the fireplace, he said.

"Residents should keep everything at a safe distance when having fires," Wiggins said. "The furniture was too close and caught, spreading quickly."

Responding to the blaze were Billerica Engines 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5; Ladder 1; and the Fire Prevention Bureau.

Follow Rick Sobey on Twitter and Tout @rsobeyLSun.