It's Thursday, March 14
Follow our news updates and breaking news on Twitter at: @lowellsunnews, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lowellsun, on our mobile app, or on our website www.lowellsun.com. We welcome your suggestions, comments and contributions to staff members via their email addresses below or to Editor Jim Campanini (@suneditor) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here's a sampling of what Sun staffers, and other news providers, are working on for lowellsun.com and Friday's edition of the newspaper.
* The UMass Lowell River Hawk hockey team begins its 2013 playoff run Thursday night at the Tsongas Center against the University of Maine. The Sun's venerable hockey writer, Chaz Scoggins, email@example.com, will be there for every drop of the puck. Go River Hawks.
* In a startling development in the Whitey Bulger case, a federal appeals court has agreed to a defense request to remove the judge who was set to preside over the trial due to a conflict of interest. The Sun will have the latest from the Associated Press's Denise Lavoie, a former Sun writer.
* You've been hearing a lot about drones lately, the unmanned aircraft used by the military for surveillance and offensive operations. Now, a bipartisan group of lawmakers led by
* Reporter Grant Welker, firstname.lastname@example.org, will have a feature story on Chelmsford High School junior Elizabeth Sperry, who has been named one of only 120 youths for the National Youth Orchestra, which this summer will practice in New York and play in Washington, Moscow, St. Petersburg and London.
* Freelance writer Betty Donovan has this week's 10 Questions feature with a new Fulbright Scholar from UMass Lowell.