LOWELL -- After his ex-girlfriend identified him, a sixth suspect has been arrested and charged in a home invasion in Dracut last month in which one man was stabbed five times and another was beaten with a baseball bat.

In Lowell District Court on Thursday, Dylan Cummings, 23, of Tyngsboro, pleaded not guilty to charges of home invasion, armed assault in a dwelling, and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. Cummings, who was on probation on drug charges when the incident occurred, was ordered held without bail on a probation violation and held on $10,000 cash bail in connection with the home-invasion case.

Cummings is one of five men facing charges in an Oct. 20 assault on two residents at 173 Greenmont Ave. Police say the victims, a father and son, told officers that a group of armed men broke through a rear door at about 10 p.m. and attacked the father, 51, with a baseball bat and stabbed his son, 21, five times. A woman, 51, who lives in the home hid in her bedroom during the attack.

Both men were treated and released from Lowell General Hospital, he said.

Police learned the residents knew the attackers, and one of the alleged attackers was pulled over and arrested a short distance from the scene.

The attack was planned as revenge for an earlier "physical encounter" between the 21-year-old victim and one of the suspects, Dracut Deputy Police Chief David Chartrand said.


"It appears that both incidents may have been fueled by drug-related disputes," Chartrand said at the time.

At the time the following suspects were arrested: Kyle Geoffroy, 20, of 209 Nashua Road, Dracut; Michael Paris, 20, of 126 Willowdale Road, Tyngsboro; John Finnegan, 25, of 209 Nashua Road, Dracut; Timothy Matthews, 22, of 313 Hildreth St., Lowell; and Paul Plouffe, 28, of 113 Mascuppic Trail, Tyngsboro. Each is charged with home invasion and armed assault in a dwelling.

As the investigation progressed, Lucci said police spoke to Cummings' mother and his now ex-girlfriend. The mother allegedly told police Cummings had borrowed a black shirt to wear that evening, Lucci said. When the ex-girlfriend was interviewed, she allegedly told police Cummings had come over her house and told her about the home invasion and that he had stabbed a man five times, Lucci said.

Police later recovered a bat and the black shirt Cummings allegedly wore from the ex-girlfriend's home.

But in arguing that his client should be released, defense attorney John Mello said, "The allegations are weak at best.''

Mello denied Cummings made any admissions about the stabbing and none of the police reports identify him as one of assailants. Mello stressed that Geoffroy, who has become a cooperating witness, fingered Plouffe for the stabbing.

Although a black shirt was found, there is no mention in any of the reports that any blood, especially the victim's blood, was found on the shirt.

Mello said Cummings told his ex-girlfriend that he didn't stab anyone. Mello claims the accusations come from a "disgruntled ex-girlfriend.''

If Cummings should be released, he is to stay away from the victims and any witnesses in the case. A probable-cause hearing is scheduled for Dec. 11.

Follow Lisa Redmond at www.twitter.com/lredmond13.