DRACUT -- Three people were forced from their home but are staying with friends and family after a two-alarm fire at their Redgate Road home damaged their kitchen, and smoke and heat damaged the second floor.
Deputy Fire Chief Rich Patterson said firefighters were called to 64 Redgate Road at 11:47 a.m., and arrived four minutes later to find a fire caused by a pan left unattended on the stove.
"The fire had a good head start on us," Patterson said.
Firefighters made an aggressive attack on the fire, and got it under control in about 30 minutes.
Flames extended into the walls and up to a second-floor bathroom, according to Patterson.
"The guys did a hell of a job," Patterson said. "It was a good stop."
Patterson said three residents of the home were displaced, but had already found a place to stay by Monday afternoon. The American Red Cross of Eastern Massachusetts was also contacted to provide assistance to the family, according to Patterson.
Fire departments from Tyngsboro, Lowell and Pelham provided mutual aid at the scene, and Lowell and Methuen covered Dracut's central fire station. No one was hurt.