DRACUT -- Residents in 18 units were displaced after a fire late Wednesday night at 510 Merrill Lane that started when a second-floor tenant left something on a stove unattended, according to fire officials.
No residents or firefighters were injured in the three-alarm fire, which required assistance on scene from Lowell and Pelham and other aid from Methuen and Tyngsboro.
"The guys did a great job," Fire Chief David Brouillette said. "They made a great stop. The guys were very aggressive and were able to contain (the fire) basically to the apartment of origin."
Red Cross volunteers assisted 36 residents displaced by the fire as of Thursday night. Volunteers provided food, clothing and "comfort kits" to those displaced and were exploring housing options. Residents in six units were directly affected and those in the remaining 12 units had power shut off, spokeswoman Ashley Studley said.
Eight volunteers and one staff member responded to the scene and provided 16 families with emergency funds for food and clothing. Each person was given a Comfort Kit, which contains toiletries, and a small group of children was given stuffed animals. None of the displaced families required emergency housing.
Firefighters were called around 11:30 p.m., and firefighters had the fire under control by around 12:35 a.m., Fire Capt. Alex Vulgaris said. The scene was cleared by just after 2 p.m. Thursday.
Second- and third-floor units in the middle of three sections of the building were most damaged by smoke and water, Vulgaris said.
Follow Grant Welker at Twitter.com/SunGrantWelker. Sun Reporter Robert Mills contributed to the story.