LOWELL -- The fire department responded to reports of a grease fire in an apartment building on Westford Street Sunday afternoon but thanks to a Good Samaritan, the damage was minor.

Around 1:30 p.m., ladder trucks and an ambulance were dispatched to 141 Westford St. when a resident said he was cooking and a grease fire took over his stove. Officials said before they arrived on scene, the niece of a neighbor -- identified as Kelsey Perry, 20 -- worked to put out the flames.

Resident Amy Perry said the neighbor came to their apartment asking for a fire extinguisher but her niece knew what to do next. Kelsey Perry went into the smoke-filled room and put a towel over the blazing area to stop the small fire from growing.

Lowell Deputy Fire Chief Joseph Roth estimated there was about $300 worth of damage to the kitchen with smoke and fire damage on the vent above the stove unit. The fire was considered a full first-alarm incident, he said, but the whole episode was fairly minor in nature.

There were no reported injuries and an ambulance arrived on scene as a precaution. A person continued to shovel the driveway and sidewalk to clear a path for emergency crews as they worked to clear the scene by about 2 p.m., just after a snowstorm resulted in about eight inches of snow in the Mill City that morning.


Follow Samantha Allen on Twitter and Tout @SAllen_89.